August 22nd is one of two National Tooth Fairy Day throughout the year. The day is dedicated to kids learning about who and what the tooth fairy does when they lose a tooth. The day is celebrated twice a year in hopes that your child has a wiggly tooth around at least one of the designated days. In addition, the American Dental Association recommends that people get their teeth cleaned every six months. These two observance days are spaced to help remind people of that fact. This August, if your child has a wiggly tooth, tell them about the holiday and engage in some tooth fairy fun.
Let’s learn some magical tooth fairy history!
In 1908, the idea of the tooth fairy was born. By 1927, the tooth fairy took to the stage in Watkins Arnold’s children’s play, “The Tooth Fairy.” In 2012, the tooth fairy took over movie screens in “The Tooth Fairy” movie starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. Side note: What a funny casting for a fairy!
So, what can you do on National Tooth Fairy Day?
- Call your dentist to schedule you and your child’s bi-yearly dental visit.
- Tell your child stories about the tooth fairy. Dive into your first experience of losing a tooth and how you were too visited by the tooth fairy.
- Read some fun tooth fairy books like Dear Tooth Fairy by Alan Durant, How to Trick the Tooth Fairy by Erin Danielle Russell, or Tooth Fairy in Training by Michelle Robinson.
- Get the snacks and the blankets to watch “The Rock’s” movie, “The Tooth Fairy,” for some laughs!
- Engage with other families on social media by using the hashtag #NationalToothFairyDay. This will allow you to see what other people are up to. Also, tag @phillydentistry in your photos so we can get in on the fun too! We love when our patients share photos with us – we’re really into smiles.
Kids only stay little for so long. It’s fun to make things special when we can. For more posts like this, check out more articles on the blog. We share educational posts, fun posts, flash sales, and so much more! While you’re at it, let’s connect on social media. All of our social media channels can be found here. Thank you for reading and we hope to see you smiling in our chairs soon!