It is recommended by the American Dental Association to change your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months. Instead of discarding them immediately, we wanted to give you some ideas for
uses for the old toothbrushes that come very much in handy!
Not only will the old toothbrushes be useful in and around the house, they will help you
save some money on cleaning products too. Before reusing the toothbrush be sure to soak
it in a sink full of hot water and 1 cap of household bleach, or alternatively you can soak
it in a combination mix of ½ water and ½ vinegar for a few hours to disinfect the brush.
A good way to stay on track with replacing your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months is to write
the date on the brush when you start using it and this will help you remember when it
Here are 10 examples of good uses for your old toothbrushes:
1. Dusty keyboards- the toothbrush is great getting in all those nooks and crannies
2. Muddy shoes- use the toothbrush to get in the treds on sneakers
3. Exfoliating- the old toothbrush can be used to scrub off any rough or dead skin
4. Tiles- getting stains and dirt out of the grout with the toothbrush will help
bathroom tiles and kitchen tiles look much cleaner
5. Jewelry- slightly damp old toothbrushes are perfect for cleaning necklaces,
bracelets, and other jewelry
6. Blinds- an old toothbrush will work good for cleaning slatted blinds and curtain
rings and rods
7. Bike chains- cleaning these can be tricky and believe it or not the toothbrush will
work and make this a lot easier
8. Fish tanks- use your old toothbrush to clean the fish tank and any furniture in the
tank to help things stay clean and bright
9. Make-up brushes- these brushes can be especially pricey. Using an old toothbrush
to brush your eyebrows and use as a grooming tool works well and saves you money
10. Nail brush- old toothbrushes make great nail brushes. This comes very much in
handy after gardening and cleaning
Of course, before using it in any of these ways, be sure to get good use out of your toothbrush by brushing 2-3 times a day. This will help you maintain good oral health in conjunction with regularly flossing and visiting Dr. Cirka, Dr. Meier, and your Dental Hygienist. Call us today at 215-568-6222.
We look forward to seeing you soon!